Monday, August 1, 2011

Seasickness (Poem) - Appendix H

A rise…a fall…a long suspense,
A word just spoken…in the air.
A reel…a swerve…a time intense,
As eyes rest in uneaten fare.

A sigh… a gulp…a quick upheave,
A dash to parley with…a wave.
Too late!  The deck does now receive
What I had fondly hoped to save.

O God!  O Christ!  How I blaspheme!
Your sea, your waves, your windy sky!
O man of earth!  How I do scream
“Oh let me be.  Oh, let me die.”

Of steel…of men…of gun and shell
Seasick I care for no such strength.
Give me the earth, a cool green dell.
I’ll give you all the ocean’s length.

What man…can stand…the bile so vile
Thick slimy coming for inside?
It pains…it strains…Oh, rasping file,
In regions of the unseen side?

I fling my soul to tide and wind,
God, do your worst with it…or give
Ease to my tummy full of wind;
Or let me die where fishes live.

Able Seaman Richard B. Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment